This week’s Movie Monologue Monday celebrates Rutger Hauer’s beautiful performance in Blade Runner.
The basics of the scene are that Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) is a replicant, an artificially-created human. Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford) is a police officer trying to kill him. Batty save’s Deckard’s life, then dies himself.
Watch the video and discuss these questions. Don’t worry about whether or not everyone has seen the whole movie. Fill in the missing details using what you see, hear, and imagine.
- Why does the Roy Batty spare Rick Deckard’s life?
- Why does the he speak these thoughts aloud? Why doesn’t just sit there and die?
- Why is he so still? (Hint: There at least two directions to take this question – one has to do with the character and the other is purely technical from a filmmaking standpoint.)
- Why does he speak so softly? (Again, discuss this from both a character perspective and a filmmaking one.)
- How is music and sound used to enhance the scene?
- What’s the significance of the dove?
- Who comes across more human in the scene? The robot or the real human?
- Bonus Question: Why is it raining outside?