Well I’m completely behind the times and living under a rock, seeing as Spider-Man the Musical was announced back in February. According to Playbill, this project has been in the works for a couple of years now – I just read an article regarding ‘Who is the Villain’ of said musical, which is what prompts this post. I mean, really? Spider-Man? On stage? As a musical? Is this, all puns intended, going to fly? Let’s see:
The Possibly Good:
- Julie Taymor, Julie Taymor, and Julie Taymor. She has a track record for taking the impossible, putting it on stage, and making it theatrical. Love her.
- I can’t think of anything else.
The Potential Suck:
- Bono writing a musical? Really? I haven’t thought too much of U2’s music lately (and I have in the past been a big fan) Kudos for branching out and all, but really?
- Spider-Man is going to sing? Really?
- It’s a comic book. How is going to work within the limitations of the stage? Ok, ok, it’s Broadway. Ok, Julie Taymor knows what she’s doing. But when you get right down to the heart of it, The Lion King is a small character piece. Spider-Man is somewhat larger in scope.
- According to Splash Page it’s going to cost $40 million. That’s a lot of seats to sell to recoup.
One things for sure they won’t be using the original theme song. Which makes me somewhat sad. Ok, not really. But it’s totally humable and even twenty odd years later (Crap. I’m old.) I can still remember the words. Will Bono’s music be able to say the same?