It’s a new school year and in the hustle and bustle of getting classrooms organized, learning students’ names, and completing all the start-of-term tasks, please take a moment to pause, breathe, and centre yourself. Remember that you’re a good teacher and the work you’re doing is important. Feel free to use the affirmations below if you ever need a quick reminder. Print them out and hang them up, copy them into your notebook or planner, or write them in a card and give them to all your teacher friends and colleagues. Let’s get this term off to a great start!
- I am an excellent teacher.
- I give my best effort every day, remembering that my best can fluctuate from day to day.
- Last year is in the past. This year is a fresh start.
- I am starting this year with a clean slate.
- I let go of expectations of perfection.
- I feel confident asking for help when I need it.
- Remember that it’s called a “play” for a reason.
- I have the opportunity to share a subject I love with my students.
- I am allowed to learn, fail, and try again with my students.
- I will re-frame problems as learning opportunities.
- I trust my skills, education, and knowledge.
- I am not afraid to ask for help.
- If I don’t know something, I can look it up!
- I am learning alongside my students.
- The work I do matters.
- The process is equally as important as the product.
- I will celebrate growth and wins, no matter how big or small.
- My program is my program, and I won’t compare it to anyone else’s.
- My program is valuable and teaches students important skills.
- This is going to be a great year!
- Drama Teachers: We See You. We Hear You. We Are With You.
- Motivational Words for a Struggling Drama Teacher
- Helping Drama Students Succeed Part 3: The Introvert (scroll to the bottom of the article to find a list of theatrical affirmations)
Kerry Hishon is a director, actor, writer and stage combatant from London, Ontario, Canada. She blogs at www.kerryhishon.com.Want to find out more about our newest plays, resources and giveaways?
Get on our list!