Continuing on with our focus on Social and Emotional Learning (check out our other posts about SEL here), this post is filled to the brim with self-reflection journal prompts. Teachers can use these prompts for start-of-class brainstorming, end-of-class exit slips, journaling exercises, or classroom discussion prompts. You can also have students answer the questions as if they were a character in the play you are currently studying, or as an acting exercise in character if you are currently producing a play. Self-reflection is a useful tool for students to help them learn more about themselves.
You’ll find various prompts below, plus some bonus prompts in the giveaway. Encourage students to go into as much detail as possible when responding to the prompts. If students are responding to these prompts in character or about a character, have them include evidence from the text.
- List five things you are good at.
- List five things that make you happy.
- Name a goal you’d like to achieve in the next six months.
- What is important to you? Why is it important?
- How do you keep track of your responsibilities?
- What motivates you?
- How do you cope when things go wrong?
- How do you manage stress?
- What is your definition of social awareness?
- Have you ever imagined being in someone else’s shoes? Describe it.
- How do you show respect?
- When was the last time you paid someone a compliment? Who could you compliment today?
- Are you an effective communicator? Why or why not?
- What does a healthy relationship look like?
- What do you do when others disagree with you?
- Why do relationships fail?
Responsible Decision Making
- How many decisions have you made today?
- Is it easy or difficult for you to make decisions?
- What was the last mistake you made? What did you learn from it?
- Have you ever purposefully made the wrong decision?
Kerry Hishon is a director, actor, writer and stage combatant from London, Ontario, Canada. She blogs at www.kerryhishon.com.Want to find out more about our newest plays, resources and giveaways?
Get on our list![/